The Red Door
The Red Door, a Fremont neighborhood institution, was saved from demolition and moved one block away to its current location over a new parking garage. Re-sited in a position above the street, the c. 1900 building maintains its strong urban presence while also accommodating three levels of underground parking. The restaurant was reoriented, renovated, and expanded to occupy the entire ground floor. A contemporary elevator tower and pedestrian bridge were incorporated to connect the underground parking with second-floor offices. The periphery of the site is defined by a sheer rail of steel mesh and plate.